Khidrapur!


It was a Saturday morning when I had just reached Kolhapur bus stand. I was tired and went out to sip tea. Next to the bus stand, I met Divekar Sahab (Sadanand Divekar), a rickshaw wala who dropped me to the guest house near Azad chowk. I had a brief conversation with Divekar Sahab regarding Khidrapur and he was astonished to see me asking about this tiny little place near the banks of river Krishna exactly near the Maharashtra- Karnataka border. I asked him if he could drop me at this place and he immediately agreed. He informed me that he would catch me up at my guesthouse at 11 am.

Divekar Sahab was very punctual and he gave me a call exactly at 11 am that morning. He informed me that he had visited this place 10 years ago with his wife and children. I thought that it would be a great re-visit for divekar sahab. We had brief conversations about each other's well being. Divekar Sahab went on to play a few songs from his MP3 player. I began to feel his enthusiasm for music. Somewhere in my mind, I started enjoying the trip amidst the hot and humid weather in Kolhapur.

       A view from Divekar sahab's Auto

The MP3 player had a collection of good old songs. Divekar Sahab was humming along Shailendra Singh's Hoga Tumse Pyara Kaun and Kishore Kumar's Hum Bewafa Hargiz Na Thay which lit my mood. It was the beginning of a beautiful journey. Passing through the sugarcane fields and banana plantations, I enjoyed the music and the serene beauty of the place. The birds chirping was a treat to watch. Divekar Sahab also explained to me about a few villages around, one of them was Sainik Takli or Takli Wadi. In this village, many families send one of their members to the Indian army. Finally, after a two-hour drive from Kolhapur, we reached Khidrapur.

        Passing through a sugarcane field

I was awestruck when i just saw this beautiful place. Khidrapur has a beautiful temple on the banks of river Krishna which is known as the Kopeshwar Mandir. It was built in the 12th century by a Shilahara king. The main deity in this temple is lord shiva or Shiv Ji as locals call it. This temple is very famous for its architecture and is accessible from nearby towns and cities like Sangli, Inchalkaranji and Kolhapur.

         The main entrance of the temple

      Swarga Mantap, Kopeshwar Temple

The important part of this temple is the Swarga Mantap, which consists of a circular opening to bring sunlight into the temple. It is surrounded by beautiful stone carvings which a camera cannot do justice.

                  Entrance to the temple

           A view of Kopeshwar Temple

                        Carved Pillars

                  Walls full of Carvings

After a great visual experience, we agreed to return to Kolhapur before Sunset. It took two long hours to reach Kolhapur. Divekar Sahab started to miss me when we're about to part. I promised him that I would come again to Kolhapur. I was happy to see a smile on his face and I waved goodbye.

Credits: I should give credits to Siddhartha Joshi (The Wanderer) whom I was inspired by his skilful explanation through a Youtube video and his blog about this place.

Comments

  1. A very nicely given the beauty of the sculptures and the environment of places. Good appreciated. All the best.. long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to see that someone achieves their passion without a compromise. I wish you all the very best to witness more of these journey's in the time to come. All the very best on each of your S🤩L😍 J🥳URNEY's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well explained about the place ,nice piece of photography, i hope that i will also visit the place.All the best for your future adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you solo wanderer for detailing your wonderful journey. it felt as though i'm travelling along with you. Nice piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Short and sweetly explained about this place & environment with good photography!!��
    Hunger to do something as always.!! Good start✌ & there is long way to go�� Wish you a good luck solo wanderer�� Keep inspiring everyone��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written bro, and the place looks like something hidden from commercial tourists. Beautiful pics too. Would definitely put it down into my bucketlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the very best bro, keep rocking😄

    ReplyDelete
  8. Short and sweet, wonderful explanation, beautiful photography bro. I am proud of u. Keep doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To the point. Great info, will take you along the next time i i vis

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a good way to explore the beauty of hidden nature. And the way you carry the story will increase the intrest of readers. All d best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is such a wonderful journey that u have taken. The descriptions that u have given almost transported me to the place. I'm looking forward for more trips like this from u. Beautiful writing and excellent destination u have chosen. Proud of u bro! Keep wandering solo wanderer. Soon, take your dream Enfield and go on an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good initiate... All the best da

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice journey of historical places and writing... keep going... All the best...🤗

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow... Tha was a detailed visual tour that I could almost experience in my room with my phone. Good that you had a solo travel with which though could relish the beauty of nature in your own way and present it to all of us...\\ May the almighty bless you with more of Travelling and ship you to every nook and corner of the world...\\

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesomely written😊 good start and good luck Navneet👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. Short summary and nicely written. Keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  17. A good start with an explanation which can bless us with a visual bliss with a blink

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aren't temples and places of worship our path to the almighty and how great to see these pictures. Good narration. It is lovely reading your blog. Keep writing.

    You can visit my blog and see 150+ positive stories here: https://instagram.com/talktotiger

    Love,
    Tiger
    www.talktotiger.in

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much. Do share with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very Nice and Informative article.
    I will be thankful to u if u provide me a backlink
    My Blog URL is https://www.thriveblogging.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Narrated very well... Hearing Khidrapur for first time...but from now, no longer an unfamiliar place as you have explained very nicely that can take any reader travel virtually with you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully written... with awesome pictures. Will must give a visit to this temple.

    Here is my blog - The last village of India KINNAUR (Himachal pradesh). You must visit this one too. You will love it.
    https://www.thespecialstories.com/2019/06/kinnaur-last-village-of-india.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your blog is very good
    Here is my blog. You must visit this one too. You will love it.
    MY WEBSITE LINK

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi very nice....felt like travelled to the place while reading it ...nice pictures ...continue the good work....talent ahead..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh My God, the I like to see how unique the temple was. Hopefully had a chance to go around there some other day. Btw, Im from Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa. Please do visit the temple. I hope you liked my blog. Please share with your friends as well.

      Delete
  26. its really an interesting tips and thanks for sharing this article about Khidrapur

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment